Not in My World

Prany - Bowling Green, Ohio

I believe in individualism; looking at people the way you do yourself.

Specified looks aren’t always the way to go. It affects our society tremendously. I remember one day I was walking with my group of friends at the mall. I walked by Hot Topic, which is a rock store, one of my favorite places to shop. In the corner of my eye I saw a little girl, at least four years of age, strolling with her mother. This little girl pointed at Hot Topic and said, “Look!” The mother said, “No, that’s a bad store.” My friend and I glanced at each other and we knew exactly what we heard. We were speechless, shocked, we both couldn’t believe what we heard from that mother.

Why do people do that to themselves? People may ask. Poking holes through their skin, coloring their entire bodies with permanent ink. People do not realize the awkward, dirty, weird looks they give to others. Especially being an Asian with my septum and lip pierced. Dealing with the racism and the holes I have in my face. I am still the same person. People just judge the way I look without getting to know me. The glances, the stares, it’s not easy being just me.

People need to experience the different ways of life out there. Do not be the same as everyone else. Not to care what people think of themselves. Be who you are. Be different. Be you. Just remember, not all people are the same, not in my world.