Lost and Found

joshua - twinsburg, Ohio
Themes: nature

It may not seem possible, but I think that no person can ever be lost. If you ever find yourself in the middle of nowhere, without any clue where you are or how to get back to civilization you can still find something more valuable than any commodity you can own, yourself. It can be harder to find yourself than you think, even though many people think they know themselves, one event can happen that can change their whole reality about themselves.

I came across this discovery when I first started enjoying nature enough to actually get up and leave the computer screen. It happened about a year ago while hiking in the woods with my friend. We decided to go off the path and see what kind of things we could find in the woods, such as some caves, maybe a waterfall, or just maybe a very interesting rock. It was actually kind of amazing how much we didn’t find, we didn’t even see a single animal on our search. So we ended our search and we suddenly realize that we have no idea where we are. Of course neither of us have a compass, and we couldn’t decide whether or not the sun rises in the east or west. So my friend and I are in the middle of the woods with no idea where to even start, eventually we decided to just pick a direction and start walking.

You don’t realize it but the world can be a loud hectic place where finding any kind of peace can be difficult. From construction outside of your house, friends constantly calling and the constant buzzing of cars going by, finding a second to yourself can be near impossible. On the other hand the forest is very tranquil, the sound of birds singing in the background, the steady pace of your footsteps slowly crunching though the bed of leaves on the ground, and the way the wind slowly picks up and blows the cool air across your face. It can take you to a different place entirely, a place where you can have your own thoughts, not thoughts forced upon you by your parents, no thoughts of school and college, just you alone with your own mind.

Some people go through life listening to everything other people tell them, and never form their own opinion. I know this because I used to be one of those people, one of the people who just let life pass them by, a person with no initiative and no motivation. But as soon as I lost myself, I found me, I knew what I wanted to do with my life, and I must say I am now a much happier with myself. I have realized that I love the outdoors so much that I have found the major that I want to go into, biology no surprise. So I recommend to anyone who wants to find out who they really are, and I say this in the nicest way possible, go get lost.