The color of person skin is a very touchy subject in my family.

Heidi - Carey, Ohio
Themes: family, race

The color of a person’s skin is a very touchy subject you don’t want to mention in my family, especially when it comes to my dad. My dad was a part of the Vietnam War and had to deal with Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc… But of course my dad cannot go a day without telling me that they are all bad people. That I should stay away from them and have nothing to do with them. But knowing me, I have to test my dad’s patience. One day in the fifth grade, I brought home one of my friends and I really did not think anything of it until my dad came home. After he completely ignored my friend who is Asian, and me, I realized that my dad was upset. However, I thought nothing of it. Once she left I got the low down of how my dad felt. He said some things that I really did not want to hear about my friend but I couldn’t really say anything back because if I did, all he would do was yell at me even more.

Then years past and I became a senior in high school. I met a guy from a nearby town. I kept talking to him because he was a really nice guy who was a total sweet heart to me. This was the type of guy that I was looking for. We got to know each other more and more as the days went by and he asked me if I would be his girl friend. The only thing that was going through my head was, “Yes I do” but then I thought of what my dad was going to say because the guy was black.

I tried to keep my new relationship on the down low because I didn’t want my dad or mom to find out. But then somehow my dad found out. When I got home that day from school when my dad found out, the shit hit the fan. All he kept saying to me was, “How could you betray me like this; I am your own father. I will not allow this to happen. You are embarrassing me.” What was I suppose to say to my own dad that I have never seen cry before? I was just speechless.

Weeks went by, senior year was over, and college was about to start, and then I got a phone call from my mom. I went home to find my dad crying once again. But this time he was telling me that I need to choose between the family or the guy that I care about. He said that he will not pay for my college or anything. He will take my cell phone and car away from me. The only thing that was going through my head while this whole situation was happening to me was that I am not going to break up with the one and only guy that I care about just because my dad is racist.

So then days go by, my dad calls me, apologizes and says that he will work on accepting my new relationship but it is going to be hard. I believe that the color of a person’s skin does not matter; the only thing that matters is what is on the inside. My boyfriend and I are still together and trying to help my dad get over the fact that he is black.