I believe in being a hero

Autumn - Carey, Ohio

I believe in being a hero.

Doing things for others is a daily routine for me. Just the other day I took out all the trash of mine and my roommates. I also took my sister lunch at her work. I think its little things like that, that make a difference in the world. You never know how it will affect someone or if you will ever get to do something nice for them again.

I remember hearing the news that one of my good friends father had died. In all of my solitude and sorrow I remembered the last time I had seen him. I just wanted to grab hold of my parents and never let go.

He delivered a pizza to my friend and I when her father who hunted gave him some deer jerky. It was very unexpected and he was so in awe that someone would do that for him. That day seemed like any other day to me then but now I know it was more than that. Right when I heard he had passed away all I could think about was that day, that little package made his day. I felt like Ed my friends father, was a hero and all he did was give him a gift.

My Maw Maw’s cancer started getting bad after about two years. I knew she would go to chemo and feel horrible after but that’s all I really knew. One day she started getting very sick. She couldn’t even remember who I was or if I was even there, but I was there with her. My mother and I would go down to her house and be there with her. I wanted her to get well so bad. After my mother and I helped her to the restroom we sat with her for about 15 minutes because every two she would forget what she was doing. I cried so hard that day. My mother and I went into the kitchen and cried holding each other asking God to take her away from her pain. It was scary and I was terrified. I was helping my grandmother who didn’t even know what was going on. I was so confused and frustrated. I felt like she wasn’t my grandma anymore, it was the most horrifying feeling in the world.

But I was there. I know my grandmother looks down on me and is so thankful I helped her and that is the most gratifying feeling I will ever have. Most importantly I did it for my grandma, but for my mother too. My mom is not only the hero in this story but she is one of my hero’s. If a stranger needed help I would and I would expect the same care and compassion from them if I just needed a helping hand. I want to make a difference in someone’s life, I want to be a hero. I believe every time we do little things they are like the sidekicks work but, I will keep striving to be a hero.