divorce is not always bad

katherine - MEDWAY, Ohio

Divorce is not always a bad thing!

If I had said this same statement in 1958 most of American society would call me crazy. Fifty years ago getting divorced or separating was not common among American families. Families of that decade tried to portray the picture perfect families on their televisions. One family idol that sticks out to me is the Cleaver family from Leave it to Beaver. Which we now know are standards most if not all families cannot mimic perfectly. As times have changed and decades pass divorce rates have increased greatly. Divorce is no longer an uncommon matter among American families today. I for one am a person who believes divorce is not always a bad thing.

When things go wrong in a marriage parents have an immense pressure to stay together for their children. They worry a child or children might blame themselves for what has happened. There are also the cases where children feel one parent loves them less and wants to leave the family. Knowing how fragile a child is they are scared of hurting their child. Surrounding children in angry, and fights is no better. If parents cannot come together and fix what has been damaged divorce could be the best choice for them.

Until the age of five I grew up in a house, not a home. Every night has my dad step through the door I felt tensions stir up. I knew what to expect as the night grew closer and closer. As my sister and I would go up stairs to play with our Barbies the fighting would start, sometimes lasting late into the

night. At such a young age I knew the best thing to do was stay out of the way, hidden away. I can still remember just wishing it would all be over so I could play with mommy or watch daddy pay the bills in his office.

I can still remember the pink track suit I was wearing, my parents broke the news. It was in that ten minutes my life would forever be altered. When my parents called me down I honestly thought I was in big trouble. Turns out my parents were just getting a divorce. The news didn’t phase me and I wasn’t distraught or disturbed be the fact me parents would no longer be together. My parents divorce meant a whole new life for me and more importantly no more nightly altercations.

Many children do not have the same feelings towards their parents’ divorce. They are resentful, and hostile about the whole situation. What they need to see is how much their parents love them. No parent wants make their child in a home surrounded by angry. Parents separate to help put any amount of peace in your life. Their divorce is only to better your life. Don’t always look at is as the enemy.