Never Giving Up

Katelan - Bowling Green Ohio 432, Ohio

Never Giving Up

I started figuring out the truth beneath essential beliefs when I was about five years old

playing soccer. In fact it was the first sport I had ever played. Soccer was fun, and the most

important thing I loved about the sport was my teammates. My teammates were my friends, and

we often socialized outside soccer games and practices. My teammates were like family, each of

us cared to share whatever problems that we faced. As a team we were great, we always made

the finals in tournaments. Most importantly, we were great because we beat the best of the best

teams in our league. Our confidence never failed, and the harder we were challenged the further

we never gave up. We had known playing a good game would be worth our time when the game

was over. We were fighters not quitters, and we knew not giving up was what we had to do to

press on toward playing higher leveled teams.

Before games my heart always thumped inside my chest faster than ever. I always

thought about teams we were playing ahead of time, wondering how well or bad my

performance would turn out. My parents always told me to play my best, and take striking

shots at goal. At times their overwhelming comments would annoy me, making me irritable

before kickoff. I always enjoyed the game of soccer, the jolly fans, intensity, and pride that each

player had for the love of the game. At times I would not play my best in the first half of the

game. At half time I’d tell myself to play hard, to believe in myself, and to never give up.

As I grew older I switched soccer teams due to the fact my previous team folded. I knew

at that point playing soccer wouldn’t be the same. Different girls and coaches can truly make a

difference in how one feels about the game. Cocky, ungrateful, self-centered, and selfish players

can make one hate the game, as well as not playing at their best. At that point there’s always that

mind set where it’s best to focus on you, and only you. And that’s what I began to go through

until I finally looked at the big picture of great possibilities that were bound for me to come.

My new team wasn’t nearly as fun or skilled as my former team, and I began to play

down to their level. My parents knew I was the best on my new team; I was more skilled and

more athletic than my teammates. I was the strongest, but the way I played didn’t prove I had

such talent. For me, the whole situation was mental, and somehow I had to pull through this. I

lacked confidence with my new team, and the sport that I loved started to be the sport that I

hated. I used to randomly write how much I sucked at soccer, and before I knew it I was telling

myself I wanted to quit. I didn’t know what to do, and where to get help from, I just wanted to

quit and not ever play again. My parents were mad when I had told them how I felt, but at the

same time they tried encouraging me; in a spiteful manner. They would yell nearly every day to

tell me I wasn’t going to quit and I was crazy out of my mind. They wanted me to get the idea in

my head I was a great player, and great opportunities would come later.

After analyzing the circumstances that I went through, I had to reestablish myself

into getting the right attitude. I knew I loved the game of soccer, and I wanted to continue

playing at heart. I was a good player, and I couldn’t let my potential of what I was capable of go

to waste. I didn’t realized how much doubt and lack of confidence I had, but somehow I kept

telling myself I had to keep going where my heart was leading toward.

After awhile I finally made a decision. I decided upon playing soccer again, which was

the best choice I could have ever made. Coming back to the field was a relief of stress, and my

parents could tell because of how much effort I’d put forth. I played better than I had in my past,

and I was never so happy. Valuable lesson learned for me was hard times or issues will come in

and out of life, but the easy way out isn’t to quit, but to stride your way into going after your

goals, because in the end of time you learn that never giving up is worthwhile. In my

spirit, I believe in the encouraging words from Conrad Hilton: “Achievement seems to

be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes, but

they don’t quit.” As a result from my decision to continue playing soccer, I have gained

knowledge that being a warrior and not a coward can’t hurt, but can only make my existence

become more successful than I could ever imagine.