Jonathan - North Canton, Ohio

Have you ever heard of a thing called karma? The term refers to an outside force that balances actions between good and bad things done between two living creatures. Let’s say the more you do to help people, the better of a chance that people will try to help you or good things will come to you in the future. On the other side of karma if you do something to intentionally hurt or hinder someone something similar will happen to you. Karma also is believed to build up overtime. Therefore if you harm someone repeatedly, something worse will happen to you. Karma can be summed up in the phrase what goes around comes back around.

My run in with Karma started with my sister. It was her senior year and she had been working all year with the swim team to go to districts in the hundred yard butterfly. Two weeks out of sectionals the qualifying meet for districts she got sick. Not a major illness, but enough that she had to miss a few practices, messing up her tapper, and resulting not being in top form for the big meet. To say the least, she didn’t complete her goal and was torn up about it. I on the other hand made districts being a freshman and I tried to console her the best I could but I didn’t know what to say to help her plus I was excited I had made it being a freshman, I didn’t say a lot. Two years went by and it was the end of my junior year. Not really thinking about her feelings I proceeded to make fun of her through the summer, just being that mean little brother, could you blame me? I finally had something over her. It was my time to get my shot at her. She seemed fine for awhile but then the last time I was picking on her, she really got upset, I decided it was probably time to stop. Instead of apologizing and doing the right thing, I went on training for my senior year. The summer went great. I was working out all summer getting ready for the big year. We had an all-star team, were going to be on the podium at state, break the school record, and be All-Americans. After the first week of school going into the big year, I got sick. Turns out I had mono. I lost ten pounds in a week, but I was back to working out to catch up. Another couple of weeks pass and I came down with strep throat followed by Bronchitis. This resulted in another week out of school. To say the least, I was depressed about the whole thing. I got better and got back into working out, trying to catch up again. A couple weeks following that, I came down with pneumonia was out for another week. We had a month till tapper and I had to work as hard as possible to get myself back into shape before I could bring myself back down. Sectionals came around and my relay and I did not tapper because we knew we’d move on to the next round. The next week was districts, the week of tapper. We would be ready and be able to go to state. All was good I had my best split of my life. We made state and had another week of tapper. While everyone was still coming down getting rested I was getting out of shape. In the end we placed tenth overall and got our All-American status but my time was a second slower.

Whether I realized it or not, karma came back for me and taught me a lesson about life and how people feel and how hard not making your goals can be and to respect people’s feelings.