Clay - Massillon, Ohio

I use to be the kid who everyone made fun of, the one who had no real friends. I was very shy and scared to talk to the rest of the kids. When I tell this to people they usually laugh in disbelief, because I am no longer that person. I am very outgoing and fun to be with, and it all changed because of one decision I made, and that was learning to express myself through my music.

I started playing the guitar when I was in the 4th grade and it was the best decision I ever made. It has helped me to become the person I am today. In elementary school I didn’t have many friends, so I decided to spend my time learning the guitar. I spent countless hours studying what other guitarists played. Then I learned that it wasn’t about how fast you could play or what tricks you could do to impress people, but to be able to play with such emotion and to get that to project through what you are playing makes you great. It took many years of hard work but I finally realized how famous guitarists did this. They had such passion for the guitar and just loved playing. They had fun playing, that was the key, to have fun and let the music get inside of you.

Once I was able to do this it changed my whole outlook on life. I learned that you should not live your life unnoticed, so I began to socialize with my peers. When I began talking with everyone I told them that I taught myself how to play and they were amazed. They were actually taking an interest in me, which was something I wasn’t use to. Everyone would come back to my house after school and listen to me play. This helped me to become confident with myself, and show everyone who I really was instead of trying to impress everyone.

After many of years of hard work and developing a love for music I was finally able to express my emotion through what I played. This was just the beginning of the snowball effect. I learned to be confident with who I was and not live my life unnoticed. I believe that learning to express yourself through music will help you to become more confident in yourself.