sports

colin - willoughby hills, Ohio
Themes: sports

This I Believe…

I believe in many different things, but I think being involved in a sport growing up is very important. I say this because I had played sports all my life ever since I can remember, whether it was baseball, basketball, football, hockey, or even soccer, it didn’t matter I had always enjoyed whatever sport it was. It wasn’t just fun, but now that I realize it did a couple things for me. Playing sports as a child and throughout my life, gave me the opportunity to meet and make friends, but most importantly gave me leadership skills. Playing a sport is much more than winning and losing; it is so much more than that.

One thing that playing a sport does is gives you the opportunity to meet and make friends. For example going into my freshman year of high school, I had plenty of friends but they were all going to different schools than I was. So I decided I would try out for the football team in order to make some friends, after being with those guys almost everyday for an entire summer through workouts, scrimmages, parties, and games, we became good friends. This is just one example but I say this because that’s what most kids are most worried about going to a new school is being able to make new friends, that is one reason I believe you should participate in sports growing up.

Playing sports growing up also brings out leadership and teamwork skills. In most sports there is the very prestigious honor to be team captain, this award doesn’t always go to the best player, but instead the player who is the most outspoken (in a good way), the hardest worker, and the player who can bring the team together when most needed. In other words being team captain is the leader on the field and all players strive to be team captain. Playing sports also obviously shows kids how to perform as a group. This is a major skill as you move on through life. It shows that one person cant win a basketball game you need a whole team, unless of course your team has Lebron James.

In conclusion, there is way more to playing a sport than winning or losing. Participating in sports growing up can teach kids leadership skills, how to work in groups and with other people, but most of all it gives kids the opportunity to meet new friends and give them something to look forward to. I believe in Playing sports.