Laughter is the Best Medicine

Brennan - Bowling Green, Ohio

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Every summer has to come to an end but for some reason this summer was harder to leave than any other. My five best friends and I had met on freshman orientation over 4 years ago and been best friends since. So this summer we hung out every day and night knowing it was our last time together for a while as we were all leaving for college. On the last day of the summer I was at the house of one of my friends and soon we were all going our separate ways in just a few hours. My 5 friends and I had grown closer than ever over the summer going out every night and we were all best friends and would do anything for each other. Leaving for school had become much harder than I anticipated it almost started to become emotional. The tense quiet moment was broken when one of my friends cracked a inside joke about the summer saying we none of us even made it into a Kenny Chesney concert; or how we would listen to the same Lil’ Wayne song every night. This brought a smile to all of our faces then the jokes just kept coming and the laughing was uncontrollable the whole summer was reminisced right there in only a matter of a few minutes. Laughter helped us get through a hard time when we were all going our separate ways. Laughter can be extremely important in any situation.

I went from leaving my friends at home right to leaving my parents on move in day. Parents always take leaving there kids anywhere hard, but dropping them off at college has to be one of the worst things for parents. When my mom realized it was almost time for them to leave she got real emotional just like I imagined she would. I tried to tell her everything would be ok and that I was going to have the time of my life but it just wasn’t getting through, her baby was leaving. My dad finally broke a smile on her face with joke about how he has been waiting for this day for 18 years. Once my mom realized I was gone and off living on my own she began to laugh. Just a few simple jokes were able to help my mom through the process of leaving me behind.

Whether I was leaving my old life or staring my new life it was hard for me. Laughing is the best medicine because at any time someone can be down and even if a simple joke can crack a smile it can mean the world to someone. Laughing for me helped me through lots of situations; it even helped me with the thought of even submitting this essay to thisibelieve.org.