Josana - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that family is one of the most important things that God has given us. I believe that without a family we would be nothing because our family gives us support and are always there when we need them. In my family I’ve learned so many things but the most important has been that what you have doesn’t matter, what really matters is who you are as a person and that your family will be together.

I believe that being a mom is not easy because even if she doesn’t work outside the house, she has a huge task in taking care of the kids, taking them places and teaching them what’s wrong and what’s right. I think that’s the hardest job a mom has to do. Also, being a dad I’m sure is really hard too, because he’s the one that makes sure if anything’s missing and that everything’s alright, and that his kids are doing the right thing. Also he’s the one who takes care of the money and makes sure we have a place to live and food to eat.

In my family, I see my mom and my dad as heroes after all they have being through, after my mom’s second pregnancy when she got rubella and my brother was born deaf. I see them as the most amazing parents because they’ve taught me that even if you have a disability, you are still like any other human. You still look the same, but you might act different. What really matters is what’s inside of you and not what you have.

My brother, well there’s so many things I could say about him. He was born deaf and he’s two years younger than me. I’ve always treated him like any other person. We’ve been through so many things together, like people making fun of us because he was yelling around and everyone turning around and looking at us funny, or when people look at you weird because you’re speaking sign language when everyone’s talking. But my family and I have learned not to care about what other people say or do because my brother is deaf. We see it as a goal that God has sent us and we have to accomplish. The most important thing is that we treat my brother like any other human and we don’t make him less because of his disability

I’ve learned not to judge people in any way. I thank God for the amazing family that he has given me. I believe that family is very important because they guide you the right way and if you fall they are always going to be there to help you stand up and keep going.