The Line That Should Never Be Blurred

Emily - San Antonio, Texas

When election time rolls around, most presidential hopefuls start to kiss-up to every group of people that might vote for them. They use their values and policies as selling points, but they also use their religious views to try and draw in potential voters. When politicians bring religion into the picture it always troubles me, because I believe in the separation of Church and State.

This country was founded on freedom of religion. People have the right to believe, or not believe, in anything they wish. Having a president that bases all of his or her decisions on his or her own religious views (and not what’s best for the country is a scary thought).

I get nervous when a politician thinks creationism should be taught in school. Not everyone believes that God created everything, and it shouldn’t be the government’s job to tell people what they should believe. I’d rather stick with learning what is scientifically proven, not what people believe happened.

The government should have no say in who is allowed to get married to whom. Marriage has nothing to do with politics, and it should stay that way. The government and people, who it doesn’t affect, should have no say in whether or not gay marriage is legal. It doesn’t affect straight people or the government in a negative way. In fact, it does not affect them at all. Gay marriage is definitely a topic where the lines of church and state often get blurred. In my opinion, those lines should never be blurred to begin with. Someone cannot let their religion dictate other people’s (who may not share the same beliefs) lives.

Politicians shouldn’t be able to decide what a woman can do with her body just because they don’t agree with her decisions. The worst thing is when a male politician, who believes that abortion is wrong, thinks he can make a personal decision for a woman. He has no idea, but because his view is “right” it must be turned into law. The decision to have, or not to have, an abortion is the decision of the women involved, and no one else. It is her body and the government should never be allowed to make a decision that personal for someone.

I believe in the separation of Church and State because I don’t want to be told what I can and cannot do based on a religion that I don’t belong to. When I see political ads that have a politician using their religion and promising laws based on their religion, I tend to want to vote for someone else.