Hayley - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Everyone goes through some type of major issue at least once in their lifetime. Lucky me, I had to change mine just when I was six years old.

My family has always been the type that plays by the book. Every child has two parents, each parent has a good job, and we all have a happy normal life style. At the time I wished that everything was like that. Yet to my luck, my parents ended up getting a divorce just when I was six years old.

I had my brother with me there every step of the way, so that ended up helping me to become who I am today. I didn’t know what to expect when I heard that they were splitting up. To my six year old knowledge everything was going to be happy go lucky. Little did I know, things weren’t looking so great for my parents. I ended up having two houses that seemed so empty. The only thing that stayed constant the entire time was that I was with my brother. Who knew I could become so close to my sibling when I was just six years old.

As the years went on, my parents started to date different people. I absolutely hated it. In my perfect world, my parents were going to get back together and everything would be good again. But as the days went on, my dad finally found a woman who he thought he could be serious again with. I didn’t like the thought of my dad having a different woman in his life other than my mom. Her name was Kristen. The thing I liked most about her was that she was always so pleasant to me. A few years later, they ended up getting married. I wished I could have known that my dad could be happy all over again when I was just six years old.

My mom was dating off and on as well. I liked this a lot because I already knew the guy, so I got to skip the whole awkward phase of meeting the boyfriend. He has two daughters. One was my brother’s age, and the other is five years younger than me. We all got along great, so I knew this whole living situation was going to be a piece of cake. At this point of my life, I finally felt whole again. Everybody was happy, and my parents were actually starting to get along. I wish I didn’t doubt that everything could be good again when I was six years old.

My two families have never been closer now. It was almost like we all bonded into one for a while. Everything that I have ever been through has always had a positive outcome that comes out of it. I got a new step-mom, step-dad, two step-sisters, and a bond with many people that I love. I never thought I would end up being happier than I was when I was six years old.