I Believe Everything is Going to be ok

Nysheica - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that everything will be ok. When my dad had to go to Iraq for a year, many thoughts raced through my mind. I was terrified that I would never see him again. There was no way of living the rest of my life without my dad being around.

Before he left, he told me that if he were to die, not to blame myself. It didn’t really help at the time, but as the days went by, I was able to cope with it. I didn’t cry when he left, but there were nights when I did. There wasn’t a day that went by that I did not pray for his safety as well as the other soldiers’ that were over seas.

I no longer had anyone to play video games with, no one to talk to when mom made me mad or got on my nerves. I was lonely. I had my mom with me, but it just wasn’t the same. I’m not close to her like I am with my dad.

One day my dad got to come back for two weeks. I was so excited and didn’t want to leave his side. When he had to go back, he drove me to school. This time there was no holding back the tears. When I got to school, the tears came pouring out like somebody pulled a plug. My teacher let me go to another room to have some time to myself.

My uncle would call me every now and then and ask if I wanted to do something. Sadly, I wasn’t able to because I had homework. It made me kind of mad because I knew he was trying to help keep me from missing my dad so much and I wasn’t able to go.

Sometimes it felt like nobody could help me keep my mind off of my dad. It was as if nobody could fully understand what I was going through. Eventually, I was able to just let it go and keep believing that everything was going to be ok.