The Power of Music

Tyler - Granite Falls, North Carolina

I believe that the power of music can heal your emotions. I believe in this because it has gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life. I can honestly say that I don’t know where I would be without this belief. I believe that music can make a difference in anyone’s life, from the hobo on the street corner to the affluent man in the mansion. To me, music has that power.

I used to never listen to music at all. I actually hated music because it just always seemed to bother me. It could have been because I was never exposed to music that I liked. I never had favorite bands, songs, or albums. That is, until a few years after my grandfather died; I was in the fifth grade at the time. As you can imagine, this event had a huge effect on my life at the time because I was so young. His death didn’t really hit me hard until I was in about in the seventh grade, the reason for this being that I just pushed it into the back of my mind until then because I knew I couldn’t deal with it. This is the time when I really started to discover music that I liked. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Ted Nugent were among my first favorites. As I grew older I started to listen less to the guitar, drums, and bass and more to the lyrics of my favorite songs. The more I listened, the more I came to realize the true meaning to some of those songs. It wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows, instead I heard them speaking out about real life issues and problems like drug addiction, divorce, death, and other issues that were important to the artist. I think it was this that helped me see that there was always someone out there who had it worse off than I did. With this realization, I was able to overcome the death of my grandfather and move on by thinking and realizing that other people have had the hard times that I’ve had, plus some. Now, I listen to the lyrics first, before I focus on the guitar or drum parts. Whether it be about problems with the government, personal issues, death, or love; I think it is important to understand the true meaning behind everything, not just in the music but in your everyday live as well.

Even now as I sit writing this paper, I’m listening to the very song that inspired me to listen to the lyrics, that song being “Stairway to Heaven” by Led Zeppelin. I know it is kind of ironic because it was in memory of my deceased grandfather, but that song still carries a very unique message. That message being that there are some things in life that are inevitable so you just need to move on. I still mourn his passing but knowing that I have music to help me through the hard times like that just makes it a lot better.