Determination Can Change Your Life

Abbie - Granite Falls, North Carolina

I’ve heard plenty of people say that everyone becomes exactly like their parents. I know this is not true. I believe in the power of determination.

My name is Abbie; I am fifteen years old and was adopted at birth. It was a private adoption, so I was still able to meet my biological family. For years, I thought that my family was normal. Then at the age of five, I started to “grow up.” I guess you could say, within three years I had discovered the truth. My biological family consists of mostly alcoholics and drug addicts. All of my three sisters had been adopted because the government had made my mother give us away. My biological mother was a drug addict, an alcoholic, a liar, a cheater, and a manipulator. By the age of twenty, she had had all four of her daughters, each was from a different father. When I realized this, I felt betrayed, because for six years I had been told my father was her current husband, and he was not. The anger and rage from all of this was almost unbearable.

I let this anger be my catalyst. I became centered on giving myself a better life then what theirs had become. This determination took me to great heights. At age eight, I stopped visiting Morganton to see them. After that I strived to be an honor student, trustworthy, and hardworking. I also became strong in my beliefs against alcohol and drugs. I vowed that I’d never sleep around or cheat on anyone I became romantically involved with, and I became religious; all because Abigail Marie Watson would NEVER be like her blood family.

Recently, and not by choice, I ran into this family. They are still the same. The saddest part is that my sisters never had a chance to get away. All of them will grow up around that behavior and possibly see it as what’s right. I hope they discover what I believe. I believe determination can change a life.