I Believe in Star Wars

Emory - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that Star Wars and the Jedi code should be a template for everybody to live by. The morals and views on life that the Jedi held themselves to are not only key to living a great and happy life, but they keep a positive mindset that allows anybody to do just about anything. Jedi are keepers of peace and happiness and do their best to uphold it. In just doing this, they have set themselves apart from everybody else as the most righteous group of people. For example, Jedi never act on impulse. They base their decisions on calm rational thoughts, controlling their emotions and not letting them get in the way. They observe their emotions and their reasons and set them aside for later contemplation through meditation. This self examination induces a degree of self-awareness, and in turn, greater knowledge of oneself. Honesty and integrity are two of the greatest virtues the Jedi uphold. Being an honest person earns the trust of people around you and allows you to have an impact on them. Being a leader and a role model requires the person to be an honest person.

I believe Star Wars is much more than just lightsabers and science fiction. George Lucas makes many allusions to ancient Greek and Roman mythology and biblical stories that were implemented into the Star Wars storyline. In the most recent films, Episodes I, II, and III, Anakin Skywalker is a hero and a role model. But greed and lust cause him to experience a major downfall. It is truly a tragedy, just like Shakespeare or Sophocles. Anakin loses the girl he loves, turns over to the dark side, and loses his humanity. As seen in Episode III, Anakin’s humanity is consumed by a burning hatred, and figuratively and literally he is burnt alive on a volcanic planet. At the same time, he and Obi-Wan Kenobi have this huge, iconic battle with each other. Then, in episode IV, V, and VI, Luke Skywalker undergoes maturity and finds himself through the tasks and challenges laid before him, much like Odysseus in the Iliad and the Odyssey.

In our galaxy, that is not far away, Star Wars has an immense impact on my life personally. Growing up, I never fully understood Star Wars. But around freshman year, I saw a special on the History Channel and realized how iconic it truly is. I watched all the movies again and paid more attention. I soon realized that I had been leading a very dark life. I was angry all the time and I never stopped to figure myself out. I lied all the time, and I didn’t respect others. Once I got involved with Star Wars, I realized that what I was doing was awful and I needed to change. So I did. And now I’m happier than ever. I based my life off the Jedi code, controlling emotions, keeping the peace, being honest and loyal, but mainly just living life simply and happily. And I believe everybody should try it.