The Power of a Postcard

Michaela - Shavano Park, Texas

I believe in the power of a postcard: the combination of words written from the heart, the adventures recounted and sometimes exaggerated, and the “xoxo’s” crammed in the bottom corner. No matter the length or the digitally enhanced front picture, the simple “Hey, I’m thinking about you” has the power to bring a smile to the face and make someone feel special.

One would have thought that after four tearful summers of sleep away camp I would have learned that I wasn’t the “Bye mom! See you in three weeks!” kind of girl. Nevertheless, each summer I trekked back to the same camp and whimpered through obstacle courses, ate unidentified food, and used the ‘camper john’ – no explanation needed. Yet when I look back at these memories, I don’t cringe. They remind me of the daily mail distribution when campers had to dance to receive their mail. OK, yes, I cringe at that, but my mom’s careful postcards that I received every day made me the happiest girl in camp. I don’t think I would have been able to survive those long weeks without the huge amount of love crammed onto the small, flimsy cards, or without the funny quips written just to make me smile. I believe that postcards have the power to change a person’s mood, and I dare to say, one’s experiences in life.

A few months ago I was on the other end of the postage stamp. I left home for a month with a handful of addresses, planning to write a few postcards on my journey. What was only going to be an occasional writing of a card turned into a daily habit. Not only did I let my family and friends know that I was thinking about them and that I loved them, but it made me feel great because I was brightening someone’s day. I believe one should always take time out of their day to send a postcard, to send someone your love.

Mailed with one stamp or with four, from the local museum or the Eiffel Tower, postcards have the power of love and the influence to make someone feel extraordinary because you are thinking of them, and only them. I believe in the power of a postcard.