I Believe In My Parents

Nicole - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in my parents. After a divorce, usually kids are angry at their parents. I suppose I’m different than those kids because I realize that they just weren’t a cohesive unit together. They’re both amazing people and they both love me and my sister more than words, I’m sure, and that’s why I believe in them. Everyday, my mom and dad tell me they love me. They don’t have to do that because I already know they do, but they tell me anyway just because. They might not be the ideal “June and Ward Cleaver,” but I couldn’t ask for better parents.

My mom and I have a not-so-typical mother-daughter relationship. Overall she’s my mother, the woman who brought me into this world (she loves to remind me), but I’d say we’re mostly best friends. I tell her everything. She’s the first person I go to for advice when I know I need to get the truth. I cannot even believe that she comes to every single one of the long, hot, and sweaty football games, just to watch me stand on the sideline and shake my pom-poms! Most kids would be embarrassed that their mother can rap “This is why I’m hot,” but not this kid! This kid turns the music up and sings along. But then again, I’m different than those kids.

My dad has always been there for me. Whether it’s a little league t-ball game or a middle school graduation, he’s there with flowers to greet me at the end. His unyielding support has been a blessing to me because I know that someday, when it’s time for me to make life-altering decisions, he’ll be 100% on my side. I used to hate when he woke my up early on Sunday mornings to drag my butt to church. Now, not only do I go to church every Sunday, but sometimes I even drive him! A ton of kids wouldn’t be ok with the fact that their father has a girlfriend, but as long as my dad’s happy I’m ok. I guess I’m different than those kids.

These are the people that changed my nasty diaper at one in the morning when I wouldn’t stop crying. And these are the people that pretended to be the tooth fairy, just to allow me to have hope that fairies were real. Without these people, I wouldn’t be the music-loving, church-going, tooth fairy fan that I am today. Most kids begin to push their parents out of their lives because they think they don’t need them. But I disagree with them on that one. As I’m growing up, I’m starting to realize more and more how much I need my parents in my life. But then again, I’m different than most kids.