I Believe that Hard Work Leads to Success

Shaina - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: work

I believe that hard work leads to success in achieving ones goals in life. Success does not come to people who do not put forth effort, but rather to the people who work hard and pour their heart into everything they do in life. Many people wait for success to come to them but that won’t happen, you need to work for success. Although hard work isn’t always pleasurable, it will pay off and reward you later on.

When Michael Jordan tried out for his high school basketball team as a freshman, he was not considered varsity material. He subsequently worked exceedingly hard to show his coach and everybody else that he was an outstanding basketball player. Ultimately, not only did he make varsity, but later became a star college player at the University of North Carolina. His hard drive and determination to be the best player in the world drove the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles. Evidently this is an excellent example of how even a high school basketball reject can rise to the top.

A local example of hard work leading to success is our own Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs. Tim initially wanted to be an Olympic swimmer. Due to Hurricane Hugo the only Olympic swimming pool in St. Croix was demolished and therefore Tim didn’t want to risk being mauled by sharks while swimming in the ocean. He shifted his interest from swimming to basketball. Before Duncan’s mother died, she perpetually told Tim, “Good, Better, Best,” “You must not rest until your good is better and your better is best.” As we all know Tim has been the NBA MVP for the Spurs for three years and has led the Spurs to four national titles.

Hard work doesn’t only apply to professional athletes but it appears in everyday life. An example that hard work has led me to success is reflected in my tennis game. I started playing tennis three months before my freshman year and I was placed last on the varsity team. This was disturbing for me since I was accustomed to being the cream of the crop. I was not satisfied at the position I was playing. I began to practice six days a week. I worked tirelessly and continued to practice; I was never satisfied and I always had a desire to improve. The following year, sophomore tryouts occurred and I skyrocketed from being the 13th girl on the team to the 2nd. I now believe that anything is possible if you work hard. Everyone else on the tennis team has been playing longer than me, but not everyone has put in the same amount of work. In the long run the work ethic pays off.

I believe that hard work is the key to achieving success. I believe this is why capitalistic countries such as the United States are more productive than communist countries. When individuals work harder they earn more money. In general, if everyone is going to receive an equal amount of money, usually people are not going to work as hard. Our society is a capitalistic country and in most situations, if you work hard, you receive what you have earned. People cannot just wait for success to come to them they need to go out and earn it. Mark Twain once expressed, “The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.”