Go Ahead… Be Obsessed

Alexandra - San Antonio, Texas

At seven years old I was given a book that would change the landscape of the rest of my life… Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone. I was instantly hooked; from the characters you can’t help but fall in love with to the wonderful fantasy land you can’t wait to escape into, the universe of Harry Potter is the place I choose to escape to when the reality of life is overwhelming.

For the last ten years you could find me reading and re-reading the Harry Potter book series, attending midnight release parties, be it for the books or movies, and generally just worshipping everything Harry Potter. I think J.K. Rowling (or Jo as I like to call her) is a goddess. After the seventh and final (gasp) book of the series was released, in July of 2007, I found myself going through “Post-Potter Depression”. I just couldn’t wrap my head around the idea that this was the LAST book release. This was it. The End. Life as I knew it was coming to an abrupt stop.

Thankfully I quickly found a cure to my misery; the Internet.

I was able to find other people like me, who enjoyed J.K. Rowling’s magical world as much as I did. I discovered many new outlets for my love of anything Potter. For example, Wizard Rock, where fans make music about anything Harry Potter related. There are many bands out there like Harry and the Potters, the Moaning Myrtles, the Sneakoscopes, and DJ Lovegood that have produced a whole new way to enjoy our favorite series. There is also fan fiction, where Harry Potter aficionados write stories using the Harry Potter characters, whether it is in new situations or filling in missing moments within the series. A new trend in the fandom is podcasting, where enthusiasts can come together and chat about their mutual love of Harry Potter only to have other fans download their show and listen to it at their leisure. Podcasts like MuggleCast and PotterCast were even recognized by J.K. Rowling herself when she granted their hosts interviews. Artists have even jumped on the fandom bandwagon by creating wonderful pieces that highlight the characters and scenes in the books. I have even met some people at my high school who love Harry Potter just as much as I do.

You might be asking yourself why this girl is ranting about all these crazy freaks who are way too obsessed about a stupid book series. The answer is that these individuals have rallied around a wonderful creation and formed a caring, tight-knit community along the way.

That’s why I believe that everyone should have their own obsession. Doing things you love in life makes you happy, and everyone deserves a shot at happiness. The point is that everyone should have a passion, whether it is for shoes, football, food, or Harry Potter. So, go ahead… Be obsessed.