The Cardiac Cougars Prevail

Meg - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: sports

The quarterback, receiver, and punter all have the skills, but more than ever I believe the mighty cougars will prevail because their heart is in the game and is greater than their skill.

It begins early on Friday in the brisk morning air. The band plays the fight song as the football players and fans file into the pep-rally! The cheerleaders lead a chant, “six and O that’s the way to go!” To fire up their team for the game this coming weekend, against the O’Connor Panthers in the fifth annul Black Out game.

The school day begins and the hype for the game is unreal, people chanting “Back to the Barn,” “F-OC” and “It’s going to be a Cat Fight!” and spirit gifts are handed out, cars tagged, and t-shirts made that state “Back to the Barn,” are worn by students.

With all this spirit and attention drawn to this one game, I believe the mighty cougars will prevail.

One last practice after school is called to workout any kinks in the plays the team will run under the “Saturday night Lights!” The team captains and coaches give a pep-talk unlike any other, in belief that the mighty Cougars will prevail. A sea of Black fills the stands, and soon there was no empty seats to be found, and everyone is on their feet, cheering for the mighty Cougars.

With a minute thirty to go in the game, after coming back form being behind seventeen to three, I believe the mighty Cougars will prevail.

With their last chance to tie the score and go into over-time… the score board reveals that the heart of the cougars is still in the game to win! Tied twenty-four to twenty-four both teams prepare for a chance at victory in over-time!

The O’Connor Panthers in no way were giving up, leading in over-time thirty-one to twenty-four the mighty Cougars were ready for a chance to prove themselves. After pushing th ball up the field with three yards to go the Cougars score and get ready to go for the extra-point or take the chance at a two point conversion to win the game!

The five thousand fans, with their eyes closed tightly (afraid to view their teams fate), hands gripped in unity, and their voices giving out, standing behind the Cougar team because they believe the mighty Cougars will prevail.

The play is called, the ball is hiked, and the quarterback runs to a chance at victory! I believed that the heart of the Cougars mattered over their skill, and my belief was right. All five thousand fans left the stands that night in witness of the Cougars prevailing, and believing that heart does beat the skill, or the O’Connor Panthers.

The papers had and will doubt our team’s ability, but I believe I can see in the players’ eyes the desire for victory. I believe in the games to come, the mighty Cougars will overcome the adversity in their path and prevail just as they did when they “Blacked Out” the Panthers!