My Home Team

Kathleen - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe in the Houston Texans. Not because they are one of the greatest pro football teams, but because they are my home team. I am not actually from Houston, but because we do not have our own football team here in San Antonio, I chose to follow the Texans. While most football teams have been around for a while, the Texans are a relatively new team that has lots of room to grow.

Ever since the Texans became a team, I have rooted for them. They have been steadily improving through the years, and show very promising signs of being a great team. I do know, however, that beginning teams do not usually play in the Super Bowl during the first few years. To make it worse, all three of the other teams in their division have gone to the playoffs recently, and this makes for challenging games. But this is what having a home team is all about, cheering them on no matter what, and I will continue to do that and wait patiently until the Texans become one of the important teams talked about on the Sunday morning NFL shows.

I began this season with very optimistic hopes for the Texans’ season, but the losses piled up quickly. The devastation of Hurricane Ike, for example, added to the Texans’ problems by causing games to be rescheduled and impacting team players’ personal lives. Furthermore, a disappointing loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in overtime, and an unacceptable loss to the Indianapolis Colts had me pretty upset. When I turned on the game against the Miami Dolphins, I was hopeful because the score was close. It was neck and neck all through the game, and after the Dolphins made a touchdown with a little over two minutes to go, I was worried. The seconds ticked off and the Texans moved closer to the goal line, and it came down to the last seconds. The ball was snapped and I held my breath as I watched. It looked at first like they weren’t going to make it in, but suddenly the ball was in the end zone. I screamed in delight as I knew the Texans had won their first game of the season.

The Texans may have a losing record, but they are number one to me. They are not like the superstar teams which get lots of attention and are Super Bowl contenders, but they were impressive this week, which gives me hope for the rest of the season. Other teams may get the glory of plenty of media exposure and star in Monday night games, but the Texans are always the one I root for. I believe in the Houston Texans, and I am proud to call them my team.