Second Chances for Romances

Sarah - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance.

But that’s it. After two chances, if they keep making the same mistakes and they still haven’t changed….well, they’re not going to change. The dangerous thing is this: the more chances you give someone, the more attached you become. The harder it is to let go in fear that all your time, all your effort, and all those chances you gave will be for nothing.

A young girl. Never had a boyfriend before. Scared to be hurt. But trusting. Willing to give it a shot. She puts all her hope in one boy who manages to swindle her high school heart. He voraciously takes it, and he lulls her into a false sense that, you know, maybe love really does exist.

Within the first week, he cheats on her with three of her best friends in a good ol’ family-friendly game of spin-the-bottle. Whereas most people would have ended it right then, this girl can’t. Her first relationship…it couldn’t be over that fast.

“No…no…I’m just overreacting. After all, it was just a game. It didn’t mean anything. Right?” I’ll give you another chance.

She stays with him. Things go smoothly for a while. Then he starts lying…a lot.

“No, I can’t hang out this weekend, I’m grounded.”

“My mom’s gonna kill me.”

“I might go out of town.”

“I wish I could, but I’m grounded.”

“I love you.”

Yet, he somehow manages to still spend time with his friends. Never once with his girlfriend. Don’t let go. Just one more chance. Then, they do make plans. He stands her up. Doesn’t show. Just leaves. Doesn’t bother telling her. Just simply…stands her up. Don’t let go. Give him one more chance, and he’ll change.

He starts drinking again. He promised her he wouldn’t do that anymore… It’ll get better. Just wait a little longer…

Finally, she can’t take it anymore. She breaks it off. He immediately tries to win her back. He’s nicer. Says “hi,” wants to hang out. Little, meaningful kisses on the forehead. It gives her hope. Reeling in the big catch once again.

One day, it comes. “I still like you,” he says. “I’ve always cared about you. I miss you.” Finally, after I gave him so many chances—he’s changed!

Four days later? Dating another girl. Two years older than him. Stops all contact with his ex-girlfriend.

And where does that leave her? In the middle of nowhere with a pack of gum, an old jacket, and a broken heart. Awesome.

Never once did she believe it was “true love.” She never believed they were going to get married, grow old together, or spend the rest of eternity together. She wasn’t that naive. She just believed that after a year and a half of time, patience, and chances, he would change. Everything would be worthwhile. He would treat her as if she was more significant that the dirt under his shoes. It wasn’t true love, but it was the most love she’d ever felt before. That’s got to count for something.

True love isn’t real in high school, but broken hearts, shattered trust, liquid-fire tears…they are. Don’t depend on people who will let you down. Give them two chances. Or three. But if they make a routine of hurting you—turn on your heels and RUN. Let go before you can’t let go.

Everyone deserves a second chance. But that’s it.