The common rules

Maribel - houston, Texas

I have learned that although it is hard to admit it, I’m secretly glad my parents are strict with me. At first I thought they just liked to get on my case, but than I understood their point. They care so much about me they are like that for my own good and safety. They want the best for me in life, for me to be more than what they were at my age and to even be more when I’m at the age they are right now.

When I was around 13-years-old I wanted to live my life to the fullest. I would try to be out all night (mostly it would start at the time I would get out of school) with my friends and just have fun. It just took one night to change me forever. My parents sat me down and toll me all their worries and their reasons to be strict with me. I felt happiness to know they cared about me so much. Even one of my friends told me, “you are so lucky to have parents that care for you so much.”

My parents and my brother got me to understand why they said “no” so much. Before to me their words were just “rules” to get on my case, for having fun and hanging with my friends, and not spending as much time with them. It would get on my nerves, and I would get so frustrated that there was a lot I was invited to and I could not go, because of my parents and their rules. There were days I wished I would just be 18 to do most of the things I could not do. I would daydream about one day living on my own. Now that I’m older I do regret not leasing to my parents most of the time.

So to this moment I think two times before doing something, just to not hurt my parents and my brothers’ feelings. To me now my parents being strict it is one way of saying I LOVE YOU and I do not want anything bad to happen to you, they just show it in a different way. I’m so glad they are strict with me. I think if they were not strict with me I would not be sting here and writing this essay. Being strict it is not just a habit that parents have to do, but it is not to get on our case, it is to protect us, their sons and daughters.