I believe accitions are a very difficult situation

Eleane - Granite Falls, North Carolina
Themes: addiction

I believe addictions are a very difficult situation.

It’s very hard being a teen mother but even harder when your dad is addicted to alcohol. Addictions are a very difficult situation to live through; especially when it affects a loved one. My dad had a rough childhood with his mother dying, when he was young. Later in his life his brother was murdered by a gang, while he was out in the streets drunk. That was the beginning of his addiction to alcohol in which he fell deeper and deeper each day. Sometimes he wouldn’t even come home. Although he has had many jobs, he wouldn’t last more than a few days at one place. When my mom would get home from work it was always be the same thing, arguing because he was drunk and had lost his job once again. Living with an addict is like living in a jungle. I would never be aware of what could happen or what tomorrow could be like; I would just wait for whatever might come. I would constantly hear crying and saw the anger in my family faces.

I would stay up late counting the hours, glancing at the clock, making sure that he arrives home safely. When he would finally arrive, he would stumble over the center table to make it to the couch to sleep. The next morning he would wake up in search for a beer and if he didn’t find one he would get ill. It was like treating him like a baby if he didn’t get what he wanted he would get angry. He would get some money together and leave to buy more to continue to drink throughout the week. If you were to question him if he would like something to eat, he would always reply “no”. He will last days without having something to eat. The addiction got harder day to day and he finds no exit but to continue what he was best as.

After years of a hard life my dad finally recognizes his addiction. It took him years realize that he was loosing the only thing he had in life which was us his family. Now he is helping himself in a rehab center so he can be able to regain back the family he one day lost. I believe addictions are hard.