I Believe in the Human Heart

Elizabeth - Hudson, North Carolina

I Believe in the Human Heart

I was sitting silently in my 5th grade language arts class, listening to my teacher speak of the many horrors of the Holocaust. I knew that very cruel actions were taken against the Jews, but to hear about it in detail threw me into reality. Growing up, I thought everyone had a good heart and continence. The worst act against another human being that I was aware of was murder, and the killer was almost always crazy. So, I you can guess, when I learned about the mass murder and torture of millions of people, I was shocked and appalled at the entire world. How could someone slaughter another living being? How could anyone stand to smell the blood of their victim? How could a person keep their heart cold to the cries of pain they themselves are inflicting upon another? How could anyone drag a little child away from its mother and father knowing that they will never meet again?

After all these questions ran through my head hundreds of times, I talked to my daddy about it. He finally convinced me that the world is not filled with evil, and there are good people everywhere you go. He also said that it is our duty to turn this world kind by being kind ourselves. I figured that to make the world seem nicer, I had to look for the best in everyone. I’ve found that there is kindness even in the toughest people. You just have to want to let it show. That’s why I believe in the human heart.

The heart is very complex. I’m not speaking of the organ that pumps blood thru your body. I’m talking about where love, compassion, and kindness come from. As humans, we have wants and needs such as food, water, and shelter, but above all, the want of love. The entire sum of existence is the magic of being loved by just one other person.

Acts of kindness to others is what I want to spend my life doing. After college, I plan to join the Peace Corps and travel abroad to lend my hand to others. No matter the color of their skin, living conditions, or their god. I believe people were put upon this earth to enrich each other’s lives.

My mama always told me, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.” I say it all depends on the situation. Words are a powerful tool. Words can build walls of friendship, or walls of hate. Words are how we express ourselves and our opinions. Wars are started, not by action alone, but by the words chosen in retaliation.

The human heart always has the best intentions, we just need to seize those intentions and put them to use for the good of others. With a kind heart and a loving voice, where can we go wrong? My goal in life is not to be remembered for what I had, but for what I gave away. I will always strive to reach out a hand for the needy, be arms to carry the weak, become a shoulder to cry on for the melancholy, and a light to help guide the lost on the path of life. Because I believe in the power of the human heart.