I Believe Death Should be Embraced

Amelia - Hudson, North Carolina
Themes: death

I Believe Death Should be Embraced

My Grandma died last year. My mother was very close to my great-grandmother, and she completely broke down when Grandma died. I was not as close to her but I still know this is an understandable reaction when you love someone, and then they’re gone. You are left with a seemingly endless hole in yourself, and nothing will change the fact that you miss them and will miss them forever. However, I do believe my mom (and the rest of the family) were not seeing the entire picture, the greatness and joy people can have after dying. I believe death should be embraced.

As much as I love life, I am still able to see death as something good rather than something to fear. I began to come to this realization in fourth-grade vacation bible school while I was learning the song, “I Can Only Imagine” (which is still one of my most favorite songs). I was already saved. I knew I was going to spend an eternity in heaven with God. Still, as I was singing with my eyes closed, visualizing meeting my Lord and Savior, Friend and Father, I was looking forward to the occasion. I wasn’t afraid of dying and being there. I want people to see both sides of the situation when I pass on. I want them to miss me (of course, who doesn’t want to be missed), but I also want them to be happy for me and feel good about where I am. I’m not saying I want to walk outside right now and be shot so I can die and go to heaven, I just won’t be afraid of stepping outside with the possibility of death.

So as I continue embrace death and enjoy life, my belief will and has grown as well as my determination to live life to the fullest. I will spread my good news any chance I get and will hopefully change someone’s fear of death into peace with the inevitable occurrence. I plan to go on embracing both life and death by being the best I can be and helping others to do the same until I finally pass away to go meet my best friend up in heaven.