The Pursuit of the Dream

Timothy - Provo, Utah

Allow me, a poor, married, self supporting, white male to offer my opinion on the economic state of which many of us are a part.

First, I work two jobs. My wife works three. Even so we are more than eligible for medicare. And between the two of us we were able to find a good deal on health insurance on the open market. Most people on medicare can do the same. While education is a noble aspiration, being self sufficient is more so. There are options for a healthy person to complete school and not rely on tax payers to cover your healthcare costs. It may take longer, but it is worth it to me.

Secondly, the democrats asked me how I would feel if I were poor about not being able to own a house as the American Dream says I should. Well, I am. And I feel like I should not own a house. I can’t afford it. So I rent. There is no less dignity in living in the situation that you can afford. I may not have a yard and a dog, but I have a roof over my head. And that is enough as I work to get more

Thirdly, the republicans said that since many people have had their homes decrease in value over the last two or three years, they stated (rather nonchalantly) that naturally a man would default on his loan as it is no longer worth what he is paying. If you give your word to pay a loan or a mortgage or any other debt, you should pay it. If your subprime A.R.M. has matured so that you can no longer afford the payments, you should get a second job, possibly a third. You agreed to pay. It is your duty to do so. It is people with the opposite attitude that have been a large cause of this “crisis”.

There is too much that we as American citizens think are due to us because of that phrase, “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” Far too many policies are justified on that account. I have the right to life. Does that make you culpable to pay for my poor health decisions? I have the right to liberty. Does that mean that you must accept my decisions even though you find them morally reprehensible? I have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Does that mean you must provide me the American Dream on a silver platter?

If Americans want to make something happen, there is no “change you can believe in”, no “maverick” capable of taking the wheel that will effectively lead the nation beyond what we face for the future of this country. No bailout, no president, no congressional district member will be able to solve the problems that we face. They may help or hinder, but never solve. What America and consequently democracy needs is responsible citizens. Every body is counting on you to be responsible and honest and industrious. You must affect that change. You must be that maverick.

The government of America has never been what made America truly great. It has always been the people. Always. Our unique devotion to life, our fierce protection of the liberties and freedoms that are afforded us, and the happiness which we pursue with an unquenchable appetite have made us great. This is the greatness that is our legacy, not our social programs, not our economy, and not our military prowess.

Are you willing to work for that legacy, or are you willing to squander it for a house you coudn’t afford. Are you willing to let the government fulfill your American Dream or are you going to make it what you want it to be?