An Introduction to Self-Discovery

Lauren - USA

Vegetarianism changed my life. I have been a vegetarian for three months and the decision has proven to be beyond rewarding. Despite my current dedication, I have consumed meat throughout my life. I was completely uninformed and unaware.

In May of my senior year in high school, a friend and I elected to attempt the elimination of meat products from our diet. The reasoning behind this idea was solely to improve our health. We were not entirely determined to maintain our new diet, so the change did not last long. Upon contemplating vegetarianism, I realized I was not familiar with its benefits. In addition, I recognized that I did not know what fuels the dedication required to uphold this diet. In turn, I visited Peta’s (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) website to learn more about vegetarianism. I could not believe what I discovered.

Peta’s website thoroughly detailed human’s motivation behind the removal of meat from their diet. As a result of my research, I became of aware of what I believe to be genocide. The website opened my eyes to the horrific treatment of factory farm animals and the torture/pain they are forced to endure. I viewed videos of farm animals confined to tiny, metal cages that provide them with no room to turn around. I saw multiple chickens housed in battery cages, which prevent them from ever spreading their wings. These farm animals spend their entire lives imprisoned, never to see the light of day or feel dirt and grass beneath their feet. Their existence consists of brutal abuse from factory workers, filthy conditions, and cruel confinement. The day I became aware of this inhumanity, I knew I would never again consume a meat product. Consequently, I am a vegetarian solely for ethical reasons. The health benefits that initially promoted my decision are simply an additional positive effect.

I am thankful that I visited Peta’s website. Vegetarianism served as a means of ‘finding myself.’ My altered lifestyle has revealed who I truly wish to be as a human being. I find kindness and compassion to be imperative qualities. Therefore, I plan to preserve a caring nature and feel that I have the ability to impact others, as well as the world. I found one of my purposes in life: to speak for animals that cannot speak for themselves. Vegetarianism changed my life.