I Believe

Evelyn - West Chester, Pennsylvania
Themes: change

I believe “No hay mal que por bien no viene.”

Everyone has gone through tough moments. My mother would always say “There is no bad that doesn’t happen for a good reason.” Just because something bad is happening now, it does not mean that you cannot take something good from that experience that will help you in the future.

After living the first 13 years of my life with my entire family in one single house my mother decided it was time to move out. The idea of not seeing my grandparents, cousins, and uncles every day was something I could not bear. But no matter how much I cried and pleaded the decision was made and my mother and I moved out of my grandparents’ house.

The first couple of weeks I spent three hours waiting for my mom to get home from work and I now realize how much those three hours helped me become the person that I am today. In that time alone I learned how to manage my time to be able to play outside and do homework and start dinner. By the time I was 14, I could make almost any type of meal, clean the entire house, do homework and still have free time. I began to pick up new hobbies from the neighborhood kids that I had never heard of and experienced many things that I probably would have never experienced otherwise. Being away from my family I learned that you do not need to see someone everyday to let them know you care. I learned how to be physically away, but there when I needed to be. All of these things I learned from the seemingly small decision of moving out. A decision that I thought was the worst thing that could ever happen turned out not being as bad.

To this day I do not regret moving out of my grandparent’s house because in a way it made me get closer to my family and cherish the moments I did spend with them and become independent and responsible. So today, no matter how bad the situation may be I always look back at the end and realize how that event affected me in a positive way. Whether it was in something new I learned or something I learned to never do again because of the consequences. Everyone can take this advice to heart because not only does it help you get through a tough situation, it helps you see that maybe it wasn’t as bad as it seemed and that things were made that way for a reason.