Presence of ANgels

Sierra - Rexburg,, Idaho
Themes: death, family, love

Jean Paul Richter once said, “The guardian angels of life fly so high as to be beyond our sight, but they are always looking down upon us.”I was twelve years old when I was touched by an angel. I found out my grandmother was dying of lymphoma cancer. Before this experience, the biggest hardships I had encountered were much more shallow. That soon changed one day when I came home from school and found my mother crying immensely over my grandmother.

The three hour drive to see my grandma, Meme, was miserable. When I walked into the hospital room, the scene felt unrealistic and odd. Meme was the most spontaneous, crazy, sixty year old woman I had met. We would go on bike rides, chase the ducks across the pond, and swim at the local pool. Seeing her lie on that hospital bed didn’t seem possible. That was not the grandmother I had known. She couldn’t be helpless, she couldn’t be dying. When Meme read my face, she looked up at me and said, “Smile. No one likes a frown.” Hours later, she passed away.

At her funeral, the pain seemed to hit instantly. I missed her terribly. Meme wasn’t a perfect human being. She was stubborn, opinionated, and a little crazy, but her imperfections were what made her so incredible. The reality of her death didn’t seem real until I saw her lying in the casket. I was avoiding the situation, pretending that this whole thing was a terrible dream. When all the grandchildren were asked to go to the pulpit and sing a song, I didn’t think it was possible. As I tried to spit out the words to “Families Can Be Together Forever,” tears couldn’t stop flowing. I felt utterly hopeless. I had lost my best friend. Without a fail, a feeling overlapped me with a sense of peace. Out of nowhere, I felt a stillness in my heart telling me that everything was going to be okay. I didn’t realize until later, it was an angel speaking to me. I believe that invisible angels appear in our lives and speak to our hearts. I believe that angels appear to us every day, answering our prayers, giving us small miracles and peace, and providing strength in times of need.

When I felt completely discouraged at my grandmother’s funeral, the presence of angels gave me peace. We can be surrounded with angels when we listen for them. These incredible spiritual beings let us know that we are not alone. I have seen serendipitous acts comply with my prayers. In the little signs from nature, or a distinct feeling in my heart, angels have given me a reason to keep going. I feel that my grandmother is an angel of her own now, and to this day, I can feel her presence throughout the trials I face. I believe in the power of faith, and the hope angels bring to make life more bearable.