I Believe in Friendship

Allison - Parsons, Kansas

I Believe in Friendship

Before entering my freshman year in high school, my older sister warned me that in high school I’d discover who my true friends are. I didn’t take her advice seriously at first, because I had always belonged to a small group of friends whom I’d known since kindergarten. My best friend was also my next-door neighbor, and we’d always done everything together. Unfortunately, I shouldn’t have been so naïve in believing that nothing would change between us. I would soon realize just how right my sister was.

High school had a variety of different sports and clubs. My friends and I all chose to do different things. This helped us to form new friendships, but it also distanced us from each other. My best friend got a boyfriend, and soon ditched me. I felt lonely and abandoned. My security blanket of friends had been stripped from me, and now I was alone and cold.

After a few months of school I soon developed my own interests, and made a new best friend. She was older, wild, outgoing, and a little crazy. I looked up to her and I aspired to be like her. She took me under her wing and soon I forgot about my old friends, and together we had a great year. Time flew by with my new best friend, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Summer appeared before we knew it, and I greeted it with open arms. I thought about how much fun I was going to have with my new best friend. Then disaster struck. My old best friend realized that she didn’t have very many friends left after spending the whole year with her boyfriend. She came back to me wanting to be friends again. I was nice and decided to give her a second chance. We soon started hanging out together, and I introduced her to my new best friend. They both got along great together, and at the start of the summer all three of us hung out and had tons of fun. As the summer progressed though, I soon got busy working and couldn’t hang out with my friends every day. I’d work all day and then be too tired to have fun and party with them, so I’d stay home while they went out. Soon both of them stopped calling me. I realized that they weren’t my best friends any more; they were each other’s. I had been kicked out of the small group that I’d formed, and was no longer needed. I was hurt, some days I’d cry and stay in bed all day.

I’m now a senior in high school. I’ve moved on and now have two new best friends. At first it was hard to let my guard down around them, but they proved to be truly genuine and faithful. When I’m around them I never feel left out. They always call whether or not they want to hang out. Having such great new friends has really taught me a lot. They’ve showed me how friends should really be towards each other, and have also taught me how to be a better friend. We truly love each other, and because of them I believe in friendship.