Pride in the Present not the Past

Kara - Kent, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

Pride in the Present, not the Past

It’s strange to think how drastically something changes from just one day. How life can stop on a dime and take a completely different direction. Just imagine a single day where you almost didn’t go to something but decided to. What would you have missed if you hadn’t gone? Is there something that you regret not doing?

I’ve never regretted anything in my life and I often here from those I tell that it’s not possible. People will ask me, “You never messed anything up or not done something you’ve wanted to?” And I respond with of course, but I’m happy with my life now and I don’t know where I would be if I went back and changed it.

Recently I’ve thought about things in my life that would never have been had it not been for a certain event or day. There are two huge examples of that, one from when I was 13 and the other more recently. When I was 13 my dad was arrested for the molestation of my step-sister. I never had a good relationship with him and our fights were often terrible. It’s hard to explain the situation, but he was not a good person and his arrest didn’t hurt me at all. In fact I couldn’t imagine having to see him everyday or having to grow up as a teenager and dealing with the constant arguments so I am grateful of the life I have now without him.

The second event that I couldn’t imagine where I would be if it didn’t happen is a scavenger hunt I went to at the beginning of this year, my freshman year of college. It was here that I met all of my closest friends now and also my girlfriend. That day I had been debating not going, certain that it would be awkward or everyone already knew each other, but I went. Now I have many great friends, an amazing girlfriend, and an entire community of people who I would call my second family.

I definitely don’t regret anything and can’t say if I ever will. Sure I’ve messed up, I mean I’ve been in four car accidents, been pulled over twice, and spent money unnecessarily, but my mistakes me stronger. So I try not to dwell on those mistakes longer than needed. I admit them, I work to improve myself and I’m proud to say that I believe in the present and the future and that the past is just for memories.