Christy - Brookfield, Wisconsin

“Come on! Let’s go! Go get ‘em Brookfield!” That was all I heard as the ball was kicked up the field. I kept running, aware that sooner or later the ball would be passed to me. I stopped, right in front of the goal box. The ball was kicked to me. I then trapped the ball with my feet. “5, 4, 3…” The crowd screamed. Suddenly, I felt all eyes on me, the lights only shining on me, and a warm, nauseous sensation wave wash over me. I felt as if the world had just stopped. Lifting my foot, I swung it back in a full rotation, and kicked as hard as I could. I could feel the ball contact my foot at full force. The whole crowd watched in anticipation, waiting for the championship ball to slash the gray netting. “3, 2, 1” The ball sailed in the air, almost like in slow motion, as the goalie flew out of the goal. She jumped and wrapped her long arms around the leathery, black and white ball. She fell to the ground as the crowd roared. The goalie saved it as the buzzer sounded. I had just crushed my reputation as the best player on the team, and most of all, my only chance to prove myself.

For weeks, everyone just blew me off and ignored me. I felt as though I was being isolated from the world.

At practices, my coach would always yell at me, and at games, he barely played me. I was so frustrated.

Weeks passed as the looks and gossip spread, as the championship game arrived. Everyone was so thrilled, except for me.

Everyone, of course not me and a few others, went out to the field and took their positions. Beep! The soccer ball rolled on for the next 30 minutes.

Soon, after half time came, everyone was exhausted. The score was 2 to 2, of course, and we had played hard. We had a big conversation about defense and passing, and then the whistle blew for the second half.

I went up to my coach and asked, “Can I play? I haven’t played the whole game!”

“Maybe next season, Christy.”

Those words haunted me for the rest of the game. I was thinking and caught in a daze, when all of a sudden the whistle blew.

“It can’t be over can it?” I thought to myself.

I looked up at the clock and it said 10 seconds.

“What’s going on?” I thought.

Just then, one of our star forwards was carried off the field, crying.

“Christy, I think you’ve had your time. Go!”

I ran out, as excitement built up inside me. For once, I was able to play.

The whistle blew as our defender kicked it, to mid-field. The ball sailed through the air, towards me!

I ran to it, received it, and sprinted. I dribbled through all the defenders, Now, it was just me and the goalie.

Suddenly the scene from the game before flashed in my head. I had missed the goal before. Here was my chance, lying in front of me.

“5, 4, 3…” Those words rang in my head as my foot swung in the air. I wound up, then contacted the ball. “1!” The ball soared through the air.

“Swoosh!” The net swished as the crowd cheered. I finally made my chance. I had proven myself.

I believe that if you make a mistake, you should have another chance to redeem yourself. I am a person who believes in second chances. There’s never going to be another October 13th, 2008. So you can’t relive it. But you can do the best to make it one of the happiest days of your life, to always remember it. Again, I believe in second chances, and try to put yourself in someone else’s shoes. I’m sure you would like to prove yourself with the little time you have!