Life can always throw unsuspected curves at you.

Sheldon - Ankeny, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem

This I Be

I believe that life will always throw you curves and you just have to deal with what happens.

It was last summer. There were five of us. Taylor, Adam, Keegan, Mikey, and myself. We were all fishing up in Nevada, Iowa, out at a few small farm ponds out at Tailors grandpa’s farm. The fish were biting pretty good, and we had about twelve nice sized bass in only an hour. We were all having a good time out at the pond fishing.

It was a nice day out, not too hot, not too cold, sunny, with a small breeze. Pretty much a perfect day out. It was about nine o’clock when it started to get dark out and we all decided to pack up our stuff and head out on our way.

There isn’t much that I remember from the accident, but before it happened, I do remember going down a back road at about sixty miles an hour, then starting to slide. I looked out the window and saw the ditch. Then I hit my head and everything went black.

After about fifteen minutes, I woke up lying on the side of the road, covered in mud, and my head was killing me. I stood up for about half a second because everything started spinning, and I fell back down. Adam noticed that I had regained consciousness and ran over to me to help me up. I asked him what had happened because I had no idea. He then turned me around, and that’s when I say the once familiar ditch, and the Tahoe upside down about twenty yards in a cornfield. Adam then called his wife, and she left immediately to pick us up.

Everyone was all right we were all walking around and talking to each other. There wasn’t really any serious injuries (that we new of), just cuts and bruises here and there. Adams wife finally showed up, and so did his cousin Paul. We flipped the Tahoe over and drove it back to the farm, where we would leave it.

When we got to the farm, we decided to clean ourselves up in the bathroom. When I finally made it into the bathroom I looked in the mirror, and I was covered with mud and I had a cut across my face. A lot of small cuts covered my arms and back where Adam had drug my unconscious body over all the broken class from the windows.

It was about two o’clock in the morning when we finally started on our way home it was a quite rid home. I had finally made it to my house where I just fell right to sleep when I got to my bed.

I woke up to Mikey calling me and telling me that we were going to visit the crash site. He came and picked me up and we all met at that dark place where we had lost the Tahoe. We all hugged each other and couldn’t believe that none of us got seriously injured or even killed because Adam was the only one with a seat belt on. I was looking out at the deformed corn where the Tahoe had once been upside down. To this day I still can’t remember much from the crash. But I have a different perspective on life. I’ve come to realize that life is too precious to waste away and not to let anything come in the way of my goals. Since the crash I have a new philosophy about life. I belief it’s to live it to the fullest and stand your ground with what you believe in.