Written for Me

Kayna - Rexburg, Idaho

Growing up in Southern Oregon, I attended early morning seminary at my church every day before heading off to school. My senior year of high school we studied the Old Testament. Boy did that class get boring! My instructor, Sister Marx, was constantly testifying of how the prophets of old were writing for us but I could never see how that could possibly be true.

Partway through my senior year I was having some strange visual distractions in my left eye. The ophthalmologist my mom took me to said that it was a visual migraine and that it was nothing to be worried about. However while he was checking my eyes he discovered a hemorrhage below the optic disc of my right eye. Concerned about the cause, he recommended we immediately schedule an MRI at the hospital. His main worry was the possibility of a tumor putting pressure on my eye which could have easily caused the hemorrhage. When he admitted his concern I knew it was serious. He also said it could a number of other causes, he just didn’t like to worry. I was overwhelmed with emotion as I considered the possible outcomes of the scan. The MRI was scheduled for four days later.

As the fateful Monday drew near I began to fear and tremble. I had never been to the hospital for myself. It was always to visit a friend or family member or to be there for a birth. But this time it was me wearing the bracelet, my name on all of the forms and me receiving instruction on what they were going to be doing, to me. I was terrified. The morning of the MRI I attended seminary as any other day. This particular morning we were studying in the first chapter of Joshua. Three times in this chapter the Lord tells Joshua to “Be strong and of a good courage.” But as we read these verses the Lord was no longer speaking to Joshua, He was speaking directly to me. Verse nine of chapter one reads “Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.” As I read this verse a wave of calm assurance overwhelmed me, causing tears to flood my vision. The Lord was saying, “Kayna, don’t worry. I will be with you through everything. Just trust in me.” I knew that no matter what the test results showed, I was going to be fine and had nothing to fear if I would be strong and courageous. I believe the Lord gives us trials in order to teach us lessons we could not otherwise learn. Because of a hemorrhage in the back of my eye that has since gone away, I now know with a surety that the scriptures were divinely inspired and that they truly were written for me.