Actions speak louder than words

Stephanie - Wilsonville, Oregon
Themes: family, love

I came home from school one bright sunny day at the beginning of the school year to find my dad sitting at the kitchen table. My dad never got home before seven on a weekday. “Dad what are you doing home?” He answered me with “I lost my job”. I just laughed a brushed it off, I didn’t believe him. But my mom and my dad just looked at me without a trace of a smile on their faces. My dad would have to find a new job. We would have to move our family of six.

It wasn’t hard for me to make new friends in Oregon. I was lucky because it’s hard to make new friends when you move right into senior year. But I had the hardest time trying to find a way to be happy. I wasn’t happy, and I was taking it out on my family. They tried so hard to look past my negativity and my unwillingness to help around the house. I didn’t realize that my family was sad too, but they were trying to be happy.

I made myself busy, by doing things outside the house so I didn’t have to face the fact that on the inside I wasn’t happy. Sometimes at night I would burst into tears and wonder why this had to happen to me. I was distraught.

At home I was never happy. I would come home from school and not talk to anyone in my family. Whenever I was asked to do something to help I would only complain, and at night I would confine myself to my bedroom and never talk or spend time with my family.

One night I had gotten in an argument with my mom and I started crying and I couldn’t stop. I hated crying in front of my parents because it showed my weakness, that I wasn’t fine, and I hadn’t gotten over the fact that we had moved. My mom told me that because I was acting negatively around the family, not spending time with them, and not helping out around the house, they felt like I didn’t love them. My mom didn’t feel like I loved her.

It hit me like a ton of bricks that actions speak louder than words. I could tell my family that I loved them, but when my actions didn’t show that I did, they didn’t believe me.

From then on I spent more time with my family, I helped out and I tried to act more positively. Within time I started to be happier. I began to realize that my family will always be there for me and I shouldn’t take that for granted. When I think about others and serve them, I become happier. Through my actions I could become happier.

I believe that actions speak louder than words