The Ability to Laugh

Zachary - Lenoir, North Carolina

The Ability to Laugh

Everyone is born knowing how to laugh. When something is funny it can make a baby giggle or even a senior citizen chuckle. Laughter is contagious. It can start with the smallest joke and then explode through the whole room. When this event takes place it delights everyone and puts him or her in an excellent mood. That’s why I believe in the ability to laugh.

I remember when I was around three years old and my grandparents would baby-sit me while my mom and dad were at work. When my parents would leave me, tears would fill my eyes and spill like a waterfall down my cheeks. But when I was such a gloomy situation, my grandmother would tickle me all over and I would just laugh and laugh and laugh. I would laugh until it almost hurt. Even though it almost hurt it comforted me while my parents weren’t there. Laughter is a fantastic way to comfort someone who is in an uncomfortable situation.

When I am having a bad day there is nothing that can turn my day around better than a good laugh. That’s why, when I see that a friend or classmate isn’t having the best day, I’ll try to say something funny to them to make them laugh. For example, a few years ago my sister was having a difficult time learning how to swim. She wanted to learn so bad and started to get stressed out about it. So I told her to hold her chin up like superman flying and paddle her arms as fast as she does when she is beating an egg. When I showed her how to do this she laughed so hard she could hardly breathe. Then when she tried it she started swimming like a fish. Well, maybe it was more like an injured fish, but she kept improving and was soon swimming across the whole pool. Laughter can change anyone’s mood, and like my sister, can change the outcome of the rest of his or her life.

I come from one crazy family. I love to get together with my whole family during Thanksgiving or Christmas because there is always so much love and laughter. There is also a lot of delicious food but that’s less important. One of our family traditions is the annual poopy-face picture. It is a picture that my family takes at Christmas where everyone makes a funny face. When we look back at the photo, we cannot help but smile. This picture reminds us of all the love and laughter we share with each other. With laughter comes love.

I believe in the ability to laugh.