Live Your Life

Rachel - Morehead City, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe you should live everyday life to its fullest, for you never know when it could end.

Life is a short cycle that can get even shorter any day. If you live you’re whole life, everyday, assuming that you will be around to see the sun rise the next day, then you will continue to put off and leave out things that will make life memorable, until it’s too late to do them, and then you regret it.

I once had a friend who was amazing. His name was Michael McKinney, and he died of Leukemia just last year at the age of 15. Michael knew he was dying, yet you would never know from how he acted. He was always happy and joking around. I can recall one time when I was hanging out in his hospital room with him, his mom, his dad and my mom. It was a couple of days after he had had one of many surgeries to come and the doctors where waiting to get a call from his room when he farted, to know that his digestive system was working properly after surgery. So we were sitting and talking when Michael rips a toot and smiles real big then everyone begins to laugh. He grabbed his room phone right away and calls his doctor.

Michael always played games with us in his hospital room. It was like nothing was wrong with him because he put everything negative aside, and worried about nothing but enjoying the life he had left. Even though we all held on to the hope that he was going to pull through and defeat this awful disease. Yet we all knew he was miserable, and we told him that we were praying for him. In reply, Michael would tell us to pray for his family instead. It was as if God had prepared him for his death emotionally and had given him the strength to be the selfless person he was throughout his entire life. Michael was always selfless and positive. Everyone loved Michael. His only enemy was cancer.

Now, with Michael, no one ever gave up hope in his survival, including him, but he did make everyday up to his death memorable, and I do believe that he never regretted one day of life.

It seems that everything had happened all to fast, and ended all too soon, but what we fail to realize is that it could have ended so much sooner. Just like with our lives, it could end any day, and we don’t know when. So, do what you want when you want to, be spontaneous, have the time of your life everyday, and make every moment memorable just like Michael did.