The Meaning of Friendship

Cassie Morris - Cape Carteret, North Carolina

I believe that everyone, no matter their background, deserves to have the friendship of someone understanding, truthful, and respectful. After all, it could last a lifetime.

I would consider myself to be a good friend: one who is trustworthy and one who listens. One of the reasons I am this type of friend is due to the fact that my father serves in the Marine Corps. I have experienced many changes, including transferring schools and finding new homes. During these times, I have been fortunate enough to meet many new people. When you have the opportunity to meet numerous amounts of people, you learn the right qualities to have in order to become friends with as much people as possible. I observed many types of groups, or cliques, and have learned which I fit into best; however, just because I am closer friends with a certain group, does not mean I should disregard another group. For example, if you are very absorbed into athletics, you should respect someone who is different from you, such as someone who is more interested in their school work.

I believe disrespect is a quality that the world would be better off without.

One thing I have learned is that if you disrespect others, they will not hesitate in disrespecting you. I will never forget the words that my mother once told me. I have found this to be very helpful, and think about it often. Her words were: “No matter how rude or disrespectful is to you, be the nicest you can be to them. Although it may be the opposite of what you want to do at the time, it will help better your friendship with that person.”

I believe these words are important to take to heart—like I did.

Everyone deserves to experience the friendship of a lifetime—a friendship that teaches you about life. No matter whom you are, how you grow up, or the grades you make in school, you owe it to yourself to find a true friend. Having a friendship with someone who understands you when you may not even understand yourself, or when you try to explain how you feel and it doesn’t make much sense, is truly amazing. A real friendship is one that consists of being honest and forgiving. If you make a mistake, they will let it go without thinking twice. I have many friends who mean the world to me—friends who are exactly what I explained above. They forgive me if I make a mistake, such as saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, (which we often do) or acting as I shouldn’t. Also, I have done the same for them. This is what makes a strong friendship; one worthwhile.

I believe that without friendship—and I mean FRIENDSHIPS; ones that affect your whole outlook on life—it would be impossible to live life to the fullest; which is more important than you may realize.