Just Be Yourself

April - Newport, North Carolina

I believe that no none should pretend to be someone they’re not. Everyone has something special inside them that is unique, and they should be able to show it without being criticized. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way.

In middle school, I wasn’t liked very much by the “popular kids” because I didn’t have the “right clothes.” Instead of being boring and wearing what everyone else wore, I had clothes that I wanted to wear and expressed myself. Those clothes were bright, expressing, vivid colors and designs that were creative and fun. One day, I decided to try to popular and get the “right clothes.” But, in order to be popular, I was going to have to change my whole personality. I would have to do what everyone else did and wear what everyone else wore. I would pretty much be a clone. I didn’t want to be like that. I didn’t want to feel the whole world looking at me with their fierce angry eyes whenever I did something wrong. I wanted to be my own person. I didn’t ant to be a copy of someone else.

I then decided it was better to be myself and hang out with friends who liked me for who I was. I told the popular kids how I felt and, of course, they weren’t happy about it. I had friends who liked me for who I was and that’s all that mattered.

Pretending to be someone you’re not as always seemed sort of dumb to me because it may appear that other people like you, when you try to act like someone you’re not, and it may be true that they do. But, they don’t like you for who you are, they like you for who you’re acting to be. Sure, other people may like you “playing pretend”, but you soon realize that you don’t even like yourself anymore. And that’s the worst thing that can happen to you.

I believe being you is the right thing to do. Everyone is unique and special in their own way and it should be shown. No one person should ever try to change their personality to be popular, when they can be popular in their own way. So, I believe being you and having fun is way better that not being yourself and being miserable.