Fall, Get Up

David - Cedar Point, North Carolina

I believe that it’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get back up.

This could be in life, a job, school, or sports. If someone gets fired from a job they could sit around and pout about it, or they could get up and find a new job, and get back to where they were.

A couple of years ago, I was trying out for a state hockey team, there were about sixty people trying out for the team, and only ten skaters and two goalies make the team. I felt that I had a strong tryout, but I guess it wasn’t good enough. I was not one of the ten skaters to make the team. After the tryout I was already thinking about next year’s tryout, and how I was not going to be trying out. I was discouraged in a way.

I finally decided to tryout, I knew that if I did not make it (which I was hoping I would make it this time), it was good that I was at least trying out for the team. I started training for the tryouts, to make sure that I would be in better shape than everyone else.

Then came the day of the tryouts, and almost everyone from the previous year were trying out. During the tryout, I made sure that I was doing everything right. I ended up making the team the second time I tried out. I think that the most important part of the second tryout, was that I was able to get back up and attempt to make the team the second time.

In a lot of hockey rinks, there is a poster that I really like. It says “Hockey teaches a kid more than just to skate.” And below that saying the poster reads, “Fall, get up, fall, get up, fall, get up.” Even though it is a hockey poster, I think that it could relate to numerous aspects of life, because no matter what you do, you have to be able to bounce back.

All in all, I believe that if you can get back up after you get knocked down, will speak greatly about your character. I believe that you can accomplish anything if you are able to get back up after you fall down. Who knows what you could achieve if get back up after you fall down?