Play Like A Champion Today

Conor - Swansboro, North Carolina

I believe in the power of dreaming. The world’s greatest achievers didn’t get where they are today by just suddenly wanting something. They had a goal. Something that drove them to succeed, something to push them forward- a dream!

I am fourteen and a freshman in high school, and I believe in the power of dreaming even if my goals are still a little down the road in my life. You can ask any of my friends what my dream is and they will all tell you that my lifetime goal is to play football for the University of Notre Dame. Even as a small child, I can remember watching the Irish on TV with my Grandfather and telling him “some day I’m going to go there, and wear navy and gold.”

Something else I believe in is to not let anyone discourage you from something you have your heart set on. You never know how far you can go if you just give up. Imagine how many people in the world proved others wrong when they were told, “They couldn’t do it, or that it will never happen”. I have already had this happen to me and if you have your head set on something, you don’t let anyone tell you what YOU want to do.

The older I get, the closer this dream comes to being a reality. I am also learning that everything I do, positive or negative, affects how much farther or closer I get to being able to achieve my dream. It’s almost like saving up money for something you really want but you can’t afford. Doing challenging tasks like staying focused in school, being an active athlete and saying no to drugs and alcohol are major deposits. Even simple things such as getting through that one boring class or staying after class to make up the assignment you didn’t do so hot on. Every day adds up because each and every event in a day counts, good or bad.

Now as a freshman in high school, I find that it’s more important now than ever to believe in my dreams. It’s absolutely crucial for me to stay focused on my dreams and goals. After all, my favorite saying is “sometimes a winner is a dreamer who just won’t quit.”