Speak Your Peace

Kylie - 28584, North Carolina
Themes: freedom

SPEAK YOUR PEACE

I believe every person should have a chance to be heard. We live in one of the few countries that will actually let us do that. Being heard doesn’t always mean physically speaking; sometimes actions speak louder than words. People don’t have to like what you say, but they do have to respect that you are confident enough to state your opinion. I have always had faith and confidence to say what I believe.

When I was in the sixth grade, we had a debate in my social studies class. Our debate was on the topic “Invasion of Afghanistan.” People were arguing and trying to get their point across. Everybody got an equal chance to state their side on this topic, and I heard some pretty good points made. Since our country is involved in the war against terrorism, I am proud to be an American citizen and am thankful to have the right of freedom of speech. This little activity made me realize how important it is that people have a chance to state their own opinions. On the day of the debate, I realized how important my right to be heard was and that I must speak up for what I believe in, or I wouldn’t get far in life.

One of the great things about being an American is that everyone has the right of freedom of speech. The first amendment to the Bill of Rights states that every American has the right to freedom of speech. In many countries, people can be killed for speaking freely about what they believe. People sometimes take for granted how lucky Americans are to have such a freedom.

With the upcoming presidential election, the candidates are stating what they believe. The candidates have to take a stand on what they believe and hope that the American people support their beliefs. It will be interesting to see which candidate will prevail.

I probably wouldn’t be the person I am today if I didn’t speak up for what I believe. Actually, if you think about it, our country probably wouldn’t be where it is today if people didn’t take a stand on what they believe. Just about everything that has to do with our government involves people who have the confidence to stand up and be heard. There are people in many different countries such as China, North Korea, Iran, and Cuba that would do just about anything to be able to state their opinion freely. Just be thankful that you can, and SPEAK.