Jessica - Los Angeles, California
Themes: equality, family

I believe in rights to gay marriage.It bothers me when people make a big deal about this whole gay marriage controversy and say things like “Being gay is a sin”, “Gay people should be ashamed of themselves”, or worst of all “Gay marriage is un-natural”. What is considered natural these days anyhow? I do not understand what is so “un-natural” about being in love with another person. Many people discriminate against gay and lesbians for reasons I could never understand. Many of the gay and lesbian couples that I have seen in the media are older couples that have been together for many years. Who’s to say they are to be denied their rights to become an official couple and get married? Society has come a long way and I think that in this day and age is it absolutely natural to see a woman and a woman holding hands or a man holding another man’s hand. In a recent article that I stumbled upon in my school’s newspaper entitled The Union, I read about what students on campus thought about legalizing gay marriage in all states. One sixteen year old that was interviewed responded “NO. It is not right; how would you possibly have biological children?” so what if some gay couples do not want to have children or simply cannot have them? Just like in a man and woman relationship, some people are just not cut out to have children and it is not an issue to them. This particular student, whose name shall remain unsaid, is only sixteen years old. What does a sixteen year old know about gay marriages? Why would he possibly think that it is “not right”? Another person in this article, whose name shall also remain unsaid, responded with “NO. Because it can cause deadly diseases like aids and it is bad for society.” Being gay and wanting to be married gay can’t possibly be as bad for society as seeing our economy being tossed out the window the way it is. Now that is what people should be primarily concerned about, is how to be improving our economy rather than to be concerned about weather gays should be allowed to get married or not. Four of my closest friends that I grew up with said to me that they have discovered that they are gay. This did not change at all the way I felt about our friendship. If anything, it made me feel closer to them in helping them deal with their new-found way of life. It felt good to know that they could trust me in telling me something that is so important to them in their lives. I remember when they told me when they discovered that they were gay, each one of them told me that they have always felt that they were always gay even though they have all had previous relationships in the past with the opposite sex. I remember asking one of my friends in particular if she would ever consider getting married to a woman. She said to me “If I love someone, man or woman, I would do whatever it takes to get married to them. Marriage is a bond between two people who truly love each other, so why would I let that chance pass me by?” When I realized what my friend had said about love, I also realized how true her statement was. Marriage is built upon trust, companionship, friendship, and most importantly, love. If love is not a good enough reason to get married, than I do not know what is. People need to realize that it is not their business, nor is anyone for that matter, weather gays should get married or not. It does not cause any type of physical harm to anyone. When one thinks of marriage, it is automatically a man and a woman. Society changes with time, and sometimes for the best. What doesn’t change is the human ability to feel for one another weather it be love, pain, guilt, anger, or sadness. No one can change the natural feeling that everyone of us is born with. We chose who we chose to love for a reason. It’s not just a publicity stunt to piss people off. Choices are made for the way we feel about something. If woman can feel love for another woman and a man for a man, I believe in the rights to gay marriage.