A Melting Pot

Jaime - Virginia Gardens, Florida

Too much of one thing is never good. This can be said about anything in life: food, studying, working, sleeping, anything at all. Naturally, then, it follows that this rule would extend into determining the role of spirituality in society. It can be said that we, as a culture, can survive neither with complete faith and adherence or complete secularism. There are situations suited for each way of thought. I’m not a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Pagan, Wiccan, or Jedi Knight, but that doesn’t mean that the people of those respective beliefs are at all incorrect in their faith in whatever their deity or deities happen to be. In my mind, I have no clue which religion is the correct one or which religions are the correct ones, or if a correct religion even exists or will exist. All faiths may as well all have an equal probability of being correct, in my eyes. Perhaps this could be construed as hedging my bets, but I’ll be saying “I told you so” if during the afterlife one meets Jar Jar Binks and not Saint Peter. But there is an entirely different possibility still, and that is that everyone is completely and totally wrong as to how we came to be on this planet. There is obviously a right answer to the question of why and how we are, but the possible answers are so many that everyone is likely wrong. This is why we have to take solace in what we already know as fact. Thankfully, all of these things we know to be fact have been neatly packaged in a container we know as science. It’s pretty much all we have to go by for sure, so it’s what needs to be taught, learned, and accepted. The Bible has done a lot for civilization, but it is not a science textbook. I’m not saying it isn’t the truth, because it might be, but very little of it has the slightest basis in science. However incorrect it may or may not be, religion is the best example of a double-edged sword that the world has to offer. Judeo-Christian morality is a basic building block of Western Civilization, but at the same time there have been myriad conflicts stemming from these beliefs resulting in the loss of millions of lives. We need to take the best bits of all of the religions and the best bits of secularism, throw out the parts we don’t really need, and try to live the best we can in that fashion. We can keep science, get rid of militant Atheism, keep yoga, but subscription to the metaphysics of these faiths isn’t necessary. I might not know what “the truth” is, but I’d be fine living in a culture where there is a melting pot of all of the good parts of a whole bunch of stuff that’s incorrect. If a small bit of “the truth” gets in there somehow, that would be pretty great too.