Value Life

Lauryn - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in valuing our lives each day because you never know what’s going to happen next. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that we need to “live our life as if you were to die tomorrow”. I turned eight years old August 16th 1998 excited about being baptized and of course my birthday party I thought life couldn’t get any better. Normally the night of our birthdays we will go out for dinner with the family then that weekend would be when we would have our dream parties. After choosing my favorite all American restaurant Dan Ryan’s where I knew if it was your birthday they sing to you and give you a brownie ice cream sundae for dessert it was time for presents. Excited I ripped open all my presents and happy with all the handbags, shoes, cute outfits I thought we were done and we got ready to leave. Then my dad announced he has another surprise for me. I looked at my mum whose expression on her face gave the sense she had no idea what he had bought. All curious as to what it was, I couldn’t remember asking for anything else. Feeling special I opened a small black box with a pink ribbon tied around it. Inside was a soft black bag that held a beautiful silver heart shaped locket on a long silver chain. I put it around my neck and opened the locket to see a picture of my mum on the right and my dad on the left. I adored this necklace and something I cherish until this day. Little did I know that moment would be a very precious memory a month later. September 26th 1998 my dad passed away after passing a gallstone, at his funeral I wore my silver locket. Later that night I shared with my mum, maybe it was meant to be and it wasn’t just a coincidence he gave me this locket. That the last thing my dad gave me was this precious heart locket to always remember him. Like he prepared me unknowingly for what was to come. I strive to live my life to the fullest, to be prepared for the unknown and hope to leave this world with no regrets.