Video game violence

Dennis - Morganville, New Jersey

It was just another day in kindergarten, I came home after sleeping on the bus, a habit I still have, and talked to my mom about how school was, not too interested in talking. After she left me alone, I went downstairs to watch TV, I opened the door to the basement and my brother was watching TV, but he had a remote in his hand with a wire going from the remote to the TV.

He told me it was a video game, and showed me how to play. This was my first experience with video games, and was definately not my last. Years later, video games started to get violent, and a lot of controversy arose on whether or not they should be banned.

People who believe video games should be banned are just looking for a scapegoat, it’s just another scenario where people found something they don’t understand and are making it seem like the work of the “devil”, and blame it on all of todays problems with kids. There are things that are a lot worse than video games, If not for video games, kids might be doing drugs or joining gangs, which is definitely not a good alternative.

When kids say a video game made them kill someone or steal a car, they’re looking for an easy way out. Video games are not that sort of stimulant, unless there is truly something mentally wrong with someone, video games will not make someone shoot up their neighborhood in a stolen cop car that was filled with contraband drugs and weapons.

The only real problem with videogames are addiction, lack of motivation, obsession with instant gratification, and maybe a few anger problems, but these only happen when someone plays video games ALL THE TIME. If parents don’t want their kids playing violent video games then WHY DON’T THEY JUST STOP BUYING THEM?! The thought of a parent buying a game for their kid then complaining it was too violent, even though there’s a rating on every video game, drives me out of my mind, I just don’t understand. Why don’t these parents go after violent movies and such?? Why don’t they go after violent music??

Parents don’t understand video games. They don’t know how to play them, they don’t know what it’s like to become immersed in another world, they think some magical plug goes into your head and wipes your brain clear of any rationality, sanity, and good will.

No, that’s not what happens. Sure there are some games that go a little over the top, but the creators are just trying to entertain, is that so wrong? Is it so evil that they want people to have fun? The answer is no, of course.

Video games are a form of entertainment, something to do when you’re bored, they can be fun, they can tell a touching story, they can be something to do when you’re bored, and can be a good escape from the strict world we live in, a place where you can release all your stress and anger without consequences. Some games even have a social experience, such a World of Warcraft or Runescape. In time, I believe video game protestors will realize they can’t change anything and will give up, maybe, later on, they will realize that video games aren’t as bad as they thought.