Every Girl’s Best Friend

Alicia - Mendota Heights, Minnesota

Have you ever stopped to think about who is the one person in your life you can count on no matter what? I have … but it’s sad to find out what it takes. I had a glimpse of what my life would be like without my best friend. I could not bare life without this person. This is why I believe every girls best friend is her mother.

I had spent many nights in bed thinking about what my life is really like and how blessed I am. But there was a time when I wasn’t sure if I would ever have my mother at my side again. I awoke one morning to moans of pain. I ran to see what was wrong. It was my mother trying to get up from bed. She had spent the whole night up because of pains in her side. We took her to the hospital. She then spent the next month of her life there. Test after test, needle after needle they couldn’t figure out what was wrong or what to do. But over the course of this month I had a complete lifestyle change. I was living with my Grandparents and had lots of time to myself. My life was so simple when it was just my mother and I. We would talk about anything and everything. She knew everything that was going on in my life. I mean I love my Grandparents but theres just things that you can’t talk about with them. So it was a shock to my system how could I live here in this way without the one person I loved and cared about. I finally realized how much she did for me and what life would be like without her. Soon enough they found what it was she had pneumonia and two liters of fluid one her right lung. She would soon be well but first they had to preform surgery. So after a month I had my mother back in one piece. But what I had learned about our relationship was worth even more.

Isn’t it funny how when life is altered only then do you realize how easy you had it. You think of the every single thing that you did. But then you take a step back and notice everything else that is around you. Theres always that one person next to you to catch you if you fall. I think many people underestimate the bond between mother and daughter. She will always catch you if you fall and love you no matter what. This is why I believe that every girl’s best friend is her mother.